[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue May 31 10:40:17 PDT 2011

Am 31.05.11, 18:11 +0200 schrieb Jan-Peter Homann:
> Hello Till and all,
> The g-c-m, colord, GhostScript CUPS workflow having currently some important
> open issues:
>
> Firstly, it is unclear, how the synchronisation of driver settings and
> printer profiles is organized. If this topic is not solved, it will be
> impossible for the normal user to work with printer ICC profiles.

I am commenting mostly for the Oyranos project.
The GSoC code project with Oyranos will likely use PPD settings and if
available the ICC dict meta tag from a given profile. As well there should
be help with creating the meta tag to embedd into existing ICC profiles.

> Apple is offering a solution quite comparable to "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript
> CUPS" since years and it is still a source of big color chaos in the printing
> chain, because they are not able able to to synchronize colorsync printer
> setups and drivers...

Agreed, thats to be solved.

> My personal preferred solution for solving the synchronization issue would be
> to integrate the driver settings as dictType Metadata into the printer
> profile and to embedd the printer profile in the output from gstoraster.
> This would allow the driver (e.g. rastertogutenprint) to extract the
> setttings from the embedded ICC profile from the output of gstoraster.

Oyranos uses this approach already for monitor and camera profiles. We
plan to extent this to other device classes as well.

> Also printing GUI and PPDs have to be changed for color managed printing path
> with "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript, CUPS".
> Every setup for different media and resolution/quality needs and independent
> CUPS queue for the same printer.
>
> If we have e.g. the printer "EpsonXY" with settings for:
> - plainpaper draft
> - plainpaper highres
> - inkjetpaper hires
> - photoglossy hires
> - photoglossy bestquality
>
> The user has to create 5 CUPS queues for the printer "EpsonXY" with different
> driver setups and individual printer profile for each queue in g-c-m / colord
> (or Oayranos as an alternative framework...)

With Oyranos we hope to have no need for adding new print queues. The
profile should adapt according to the given print settings. If a profile
is selected explicitely the options should prominently change to reflect
the new calibration state.

> Depending if the printer profiles have embedded driver settings, we need a
> new PPD file for "EpsonXY" which has stripped of all color relevant driver
> settings.

Thats good to have inside the CUPS/PPD module in Oyranos, as it makes
sense to share that code between applications.

> If we agree on a infrastructure with "g-c-m, colord, GhostScript, CUPS" and
> printer profiles with embedded driver setups, we also need a infrastructure
> to create such printer profiles including embedding the driver setups into
> the printer profile.
>

> Best regards
> Jan-Peter

<snipping here to convince digest readers>