[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Tue May 31 15:11:21 PDT 2011

Hi,

On 31/05/11 21:28, Richard Hughes wrote:

> As to using poppler, I'm not sure. I assume poppler installs a filter
> into CUPS like gstoraster?

Poppler itself doesn't - what shipped with Ubuntu Natty was essentially
a proof-of-concept filter which supplied the CupsICCProfile to Poppler,
and asked it to render the PDF to that profile.  (A request which
Poppler merrily ignores for PDFs that use /DeviceRGB, which currently
means PDFS from pretty much everything on Linux except for Scribus.)

> If so, that needs patching to contact
> colord just like gstoraster does, on the assumption poppler can now
> handle external ICC output profiles.

It can, to a certain extent - though with the Cairo backend it only
supports RGB output profiles.  The pdftoraster backend in Natty works
around this by asking for sRGB output and converting after the fact when
a CMYK output profile is in use.  (The other backend, Splash, supposedly
supports CMYK output but has other issues, like not supporting subpixel
font rendering.)

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson