[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management ... driver setup PPD

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Wed Jun 1 00:49:21 PDT 2011

Hello Robert and all,
We have distinguish two use cases of the DICT key

1) synchronizing the target profile in gstoraster with setting of Gutenprint
This can be solved through embedding the complete serialized Gutenprint
setting as Metadata into the printer profile.
This could e.g. be:

KEY: "Gutenprint"
VALUE: "XML_Gutenprint_setting"

2) usage of qualifiers in the printing GUI (e.g. CPD)
Here I still don´t get the point, how the workflow will be. So far as I
understand, the printing GUI (e.g. CPD) presents the user the options,
which are encoded in the PPD.

If we allow the user to install ICC profiles with embedded Gutenrint
driver setting independent from the driver itself, we either need a
mechanism for updating the PPD, or to deal with the qualifiers in the
printing GUI independently from the PPD.
This could be e.g. solved if, the qualifiers are independent DICT
entries like e.g.

KEY: "mediatype"
VALUE: plain

KEY: "quality"
VALUE: "draft"

The CM Framework like e.g. g-c-m / colord or Oyranos parses all
installed profiles for a printer and makes the qualifiers of the
profiles available to the printing GUI (e.g. CPD)

The altentaive would be, that the CM frameworks updates the qualifier
entries in the PPD and the Printing GUI presents the new PPD entries to
the user.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--