[Openicc] What is exactly needed for color management in a distro?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 05:21:22 PDT 2011

On 06/01/2011 12:11 AM, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
> On 31/05/11 21:28, Richard Hughes wrote:
>
>> If so, that needs patching to contact
>> colord just like gstoraster does, on the assumption poppler can now
>> handle external ICC output profiles.
>
> It can, to a certain extent - though with the Cairo backend it only
> supports RGB output profiles. The pdftoraster backend in Natty works
> around this by asking for sRGB output and converting after the fact when
> a CMYK output profile is in use. (The other backend, Splash, supposedly
> supports CMYK output but has other issues, like not supporting subpixel
> font rendering.)

If I do "ldd /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftoraster-poppler" on Natty, I see
that the filter is not linked with libcairo. So does the filter really
use Cairo? Splash seems to be built in in Poppler, as there is no such
thing as a libsplash and Splash-related .h files are in libpoppler-dev.

Does subpixel rendering really matter for printing?

    Till