[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:56:46 PDT 2011

On 06/01/2011 10:22 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:
>> Hello Mike an all,
>> There is definetely a very import use case for "embedding arbitrary
>> ICC device profiles into a CUPS raster stream":
>>
>> We need a mechanism, that the colormanagement in "..toraster" is
>> synchronized with the driver setup.
>>
>> Such workflow must include the use case, that the user can download a
>> printer profile and can easily configure it in his printing environment.
>>
>> For this use case, the printer profile must have metadata included to
>> allow a synchronization with driver settings after download. The most
>> secure mechanism in my eyes is to embed the driver settings directly
>> into the profile and define a mechanism for handing over the settings
>> to the driver, when the profile is used.
>
> First, if you really are going to use job ticket data from an ICC
> profile, they need to be exposed as such (as IPP attributes in the job
> submission). Relying on the document data as the source of the job
> ticket is a recipe for disaster - you will never get all formats to
> support it and the data may not be valid for the printer you are using,
> That is the main reason why we (Apple, and the PWG) push so hard for
> external job tickets.
>
> Second, your use case requires the driver settings, not the profile, and
> those settings do not need to be embedded in the document data for this
> to work.

Now I understand it, the driver only uses the driver option settings in
the embedded profile, not the color correction LUT. So we can do the
following:

The CPD will read the driver option settings out of the embedded profile
(embedded either by the calling application or by the CPD) and set all
options appropriately, graying out the options in the dialog. If the
user clicks print, the settings required by the profile are passed along
with the job as IPP attribute and so on the server they get into the 5th
command line argument of all the filters. So the CUPS Raster format does
not need to carry the color profile. The CUPS Raster file is simply the
color-corrected bitmap with the option settings being supplied to
rastertogutenprint by the 5th argument.

    Till