[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Alastair M. Robinson blackfive at fakenhamweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 10:57:15 PDT 2011

Hi

On 02/06/11 10:29, Richard Hughes wrote:

> FACT : Real world users don't understand how color profiles work.

True

> If you're asking any of the people here
> http://colord.hughsie.com/profiles.html to select the profile and then
> get limited to having glossy paper at 600dp, with the controls grayed
> out.

Yet the same people would be fine with picking a preset from the CPD.
It's a matter of presentaton, not of what kind of file they're
selecting.  With the metadata tags, the ICC profile format is
potentially a useful interchange format for printing presets (has
interchange even been considered anywhere else?) while simultaneously
solving part of the transport problem between client and server.

See, the big problem to my mind is this:  There are literally thousands
of permutations of print options for even very simple printers.
Realistically no printer will have more than half a dozen profiles
available for it, and I'd be surprised if many have more than a couple.
  How can the user be confident that the particular settings they've
chosen have a valid profile available?  If we're fuzzy-matching
profiles, how can the user be sure that the settings they've chosen will
give "correct" rather than "approximately correct" results?  That's *my*
definition of a usability nightmare.

All the best
--
Alastair M. Robinson