[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Jun 2 19:39:24 PDT 2011

On Jun 2, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:

> This kind of successive disclosure of complexity is fine.  What's not
> fine is when someone declares unilaterally that a particular option
> will only be interesting to a few people, so it should be eliminated
> altogether.

The equivalent perspective is that it's not fine when someone declares unilaterally that particular options cannot be hidden in a GUI. I seriously don't see the advantage of using a GUI for a GCR that has 255 levels of granularity rather than directly editing a PPD or some adjunct configuration file (like a calibration file). Either way, there is a unilateral decision being made.

I for one don't think GUIs should enable complete exposure of features, i.e. the successive disclosure must have a limit.

The idea that successive disclosure alone is a solution to explosive quantities of options is self-evidently ridiculous. If someone walks into my home, with a relatively normal kitchen in terms of storage (cabinets, drawers, etc) and I say I need a better way to organize my supply of 1.5 million teaspoons and tablespoons with high precision fractional granularity, it is not inappropriate for that person to look at me like I'm nuts and say, "sorry dude, I don't have a solution for you if you're really serious about keeping all 1.5 million teaspoons."

Sometimes the ONLY way to organize is with consolidation. I'd say the CPD needs to not merely have better organization. It needs to know what in a PPD to completely disregard and not display at all. If someone really needs to measure out 1.5921 teaspoons with some regularity, they need to trade it out with another teaspoon that's in the storage unit. Not make more room in the kitchen.