[Openicc] What is exactly needed: Embedded Profile in CUPS raster !!

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 00:32:21 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com>wrote:

> What if the driver Media Types were simply a means of choosing a
> behind-the-scenes sRGB to deviceN device-link profile? (or sRGB to RGB, or
> sRGB to CMYK, or Adobe RGB to CMYK - whatever the combination would
> necessarily be that produce the best out of box experience that the driver
> manufacturer/bundler is willing to produce).
>
> Chris Murphy
>
> The device link profile from sRGB idea is one which we have all thought
about, I think it was even discussed at some point.  Actually I wonder if
Epson etc don't use it. in their "Vendor Mode" drivers?  Maybe you could
describe more in detail the advantages in quality which one would attain by
implementing it?

There is another trick, much nastier, which print inspection leads me to
believe Epson may be using: I have the impression they may be clipping to
the user's monitor gamut, so as to preserve WYSIWYG. It is an interesting
question whether we should be doing such an ugly thing.

Edmund