[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver - output intent

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jun 20 09:58:39 PDT 2011

On Jun 20, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Jan-Peter Homann wrote:

> Hello Mike, hello list
>
> If we are talking about a workflow with PDF/X spool files, where the PDF output intent is the printer profile with embedded driver settings, we still have to think about, how to transport the embedded driver setting to the driver (e.g. Gutenprint).
> As Gutenprint needs a raster file as input, I would prefer, that the output of ..toraster contains has an embedded profile which is identical to the PDF output intent.

That won't be happening.

A color managed workflow REQUIRES applications and documents that are color aware.  If a user prints using a canned (vendor) or custom (user-generated or something they downloaded from a third party) profile, it is the responsibility of the application (or the toolkit/library/framework it uses) to embed the right job ticket settings associated with that profile.  How the profile gets pass to the printing system is a separate issue, but it would be unreasonable to expect that EVERY file format support embedded ICC profiles or EVERY driver support EVERY color management system that might be used.

It is conceivable that cupsd could extract driver settings from a registered color profile based on the submitted job ticket - we already do this for vendor presets (APPrinterPreset) and mapping of IPP attributes to PPD options.  The hard part will be extracting driver settings from embedded profiles in documents, but there you could provide a helper app (probably using the same code as the app toolkit) to provide those settings to cupsd.

At the point the driver is generating content for the printer it needs settings, not profiles. CUPS already provides settings to the driver, both on the command-line (argv[5]) and in the CUPS page header.