[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver - output intent

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Tue Jun 21 02:26:30 PDT 2011

Hello Till and all,
We are currently talking about quite different workflow concepts:

 From my understanding, the user actions in the print dialogue created
through CPD are specifying, which printer profile is valid for a print job.

This would lead to a two step workflow:
1) the user controls via CPD which output intent is embedded into the
PDF print spool file
2) CPD extracts the driver settings from printer ICC profile and
integrates it as IPP attributes into to CUPS print stream.

As the printer profile is already specifies in step 1), CPD could
extract the driver settings already in this step.
Only for the very special case, that the application handles the
complete colormanagement for the PDF print spool file creation, CPD
would have to extract the driver settings from the Output intent of the
incoming PDF file.

For the colormanaged print chain, a workflow, where the application is
doing the complete colormanagement for the print spool file, we may
could run in situations, where the user specifies a printer profile in
the application and a media setting in the print dialogues, which will
not fit together.

If we allow workflows, where the application could specify a printer
profile with embedded driver settings, we would need a mechanism, that
the application tells CPD to disable the choosers for mediatype and
quality.

So I would recommend to concentrate first on workflows, where the CPD
media selection for printing is the master for the automatic selection
of the printer profile.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

Last but not le