[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver -

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Jun 21 10:21:00 PDT 2011

On Jun 21, 2011, at 8:36 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 21 June 2011 16:30, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
>> Hello Richard,
>> I would recommend to embed the driver informations into CUPS raster file as
>> IPP attribute. like Till described it for CPD.
>
> Is there any code examples showing how to embed data into a raster
> file? In gstoraster I'm just handing off to gs, so should the extra
> Ghostscript metadata be piped through gs (as a command line
> argument?!) or somehow appended after gs has done it's thing?

CUPS raster files do no support embedding of arbitrary amounts of data. Never have, never will.

What you *can* do is pass specific job ticket values through the PostScript page device dictionary, and these are reflected in the header at the beginning of each page. See:

	http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ppd.html#RASTERPS

While there are some generic container arrays that can be (and are) used by CUPS raster drivers, they do not support the sheer number of options or values that might be used by Gutenprint, nor are they intended for such things - linearization curves and other device/driver configuration data applies to the job as a whole, whereas the page device dictionary applies to the current page.

So, most Gutenprint options get interpreted by Gutenprint when it parses the options in argv[5]. Only things like page size, media type, media position (input slot), etc. get pulled from the page header.