[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver -

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:52:55 PDT 2011

Till, I disagree with this. At that point we are tied to a complex
externally managed data format which is similar to the Tiff format. It is a
pain to modify a tag in the native (binary) version of an ICC profile,
because you need to compute and write back the new tag offsets for all the
fields behind your own, if I remember correctly See page 14 of

 http://www.color.org/ICC1v42_2006-05.pdf

The other problem is that the legal issues of circulating modified copies of
an ICC profile is harder than the issue of just circulating the profile -
imagine that I carefully make a copyrighted but creative commons licensed
profile for eg. Epson Premium Luster  on the 4900 after determining inking.
And now President Obama, while playing with a Linux distribution in his
spare time :)  changes the inking condtions because he thinks prints need to
be denser, and passes the modified profile around, without modifying the
copyright tag (which it is usually forbidden to modify). Now a lot of people
may start writing me to say that my profile prints very densely on some
environments. I may get angry that my work has developed a behavior which I
did not put into it. The simplest way of preventing such issues is to accept
the idea that profiles are not intended to be changed *EVER* after being
written.

Edmund