[Openicc] - CM Framework - Printer Driver - output intent - PDF specs

John Layt john at layt.net
Sun Jun 26 10:44:47 PDT 2011

On Friday 24 Jun 2011 20:11:30 Hal V. Engel wrote:
> On Friday, June 24, 2011 11:14:26 AM Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > On 06/21/2011 07:17 PM, Hal V. Engel wrote:
> > > I have already open bug/feature reports for CM in Qt generated PDF
> > > spool files. I don't expect this to be worked on anytime soon however.
> > > At this point these have been assigned to someone but the only
> > > comments are from members of this list. In addition the priority of
> > > the three items is set to P4: low. Till is there something we can do
> > > to get the priority of these bumped up?
> > >

> > John, can you take some influence on the Qt developers here to get the
> > color management issues fixed more quickly? Thanks.
>
> These are PDF specific.  At the time I wrote the above I didn't know what
> direction Qt5 was going with it's PDF stuff.  But in light of what John has
> writen here:
>
> http://developer.qt.nokia.com/groups/qt_contributors_summit/wiki/Printing
>
> I think we need to work this into those plans.
>
> It appears that Qt5 will be seperating the PDF creation stuff into a new
> public class.   I would think that the CM work to the PDF generator should
> be part of the new public class rather than the existing but soon to be
> obsolete private class.

Unfortunately those issues will not be fixed in Qt4 as 4.8 is in feature
freeze, the next version will be Qt 5.0, and Qt has no resources to spare for
printing work.  However once OpenGov kicks off (any day now) and Qt
development moves to an open model anyone will be free to write the patches
and submit them for inclusion in Qt5.

As Hal says, in Qt5 the Trolls plan to open the currently private PDF
generator up as a public class with a few improvements and will likely be very
interested in any improvements you might want to contribute.  I would suggest
you contact Lars Knoll (lars.knoll at nokia.com) and Gunnar Sletta
(gunnar.sletta at nokia.com) directly to discuss what you want to do.

The feature freeze for Qt5 is in about 3 months, but I suspect that will be a
little fuzzy around needing fully implemented code by then so long as it's on
the approved list.

Cheers!

John.