[Openicc] Synchronizing printer driver settings and printer profiles

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Jan 12 07:34:12 PST 2012

Hello to all,
Richards thanks, for the explanation of the Gnome Color Manager.

As  a result I have some more questions:
As Robert wrote, the driver is very important part of the printing
system. How is the Gnome Color Manager handling the case, if two
different drivers are available for the same printer ?
Lets assume, both driver vendors delivering a profile for plain paper
for the same printer with the same qualifiers.
What happens in this case ?

Am I correct, that CUPS currently has no mechanism to automatically
update an PPD with additional entries (or merge two PPDs) ?

Kai Uwe, am I correct, that Oyranos has already implemented the
functionality to read ICC Metadata Tag and to extract CUPS qualifiers,
if they are found inside the ICC-metadata Tag ?
If yes, is there a specification about this Tag ?
If yes, do you think it makes sense, that this Tag should be registerred
at the ICC Tag registry ?

if yes:
Richard, do you think, that this specifications would fit the needs of
Gnome Color Manager / colord ?
(So one proper tagged printer profile could be used either with Oyranos
or Gnome Color Manager...)

Best Regards
Jan-Peter

--