[Openicc] Synchronizing printer driver settings and printer profiles

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 12 17:11:41 PST 2012

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 01:11:13 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
> I'm not really as smart as y'all about software engineering aspects, but
> rapidly scanning through some code, it looked like print settings can come
> from a bunch of places, and it would be nice to have a single pinch-point
> where Gutenprint final settings are known, in order to stream them out to
> file for keeping as a preset, or in order to be able to write some clean
> logic to merge a preset with the current user settings.
>
> Can such a pinch point be defined to create a single upstream gate for
> Gutenprint?

There are three places that options come from: the CUPS command line,
the PPD file, and the CUPS page header.

One possible mechanism would be a CUPS option passed on the command line
(it might have to be in the PPD file also for CUPS to allow it through,
I'm not certain) telling Gutenprint to ignore any color-relevant options
in the PPD file and the CUPS page header, and only use the command line
options.

--Eric Crampton