[Openicc] CUPS, colord, Oyranos, printer color management

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Sun Jan 15 06:02:58 PST 2012

Hello Richard, hello Mike hello  OpenICClist,
As I´m not a developer, I misunderstand some parts of your mail.
 From my point of view, CUPS and colord are two different projects,
maintained by two different teams.
If CUPS is patched, I would assume that this parch can only be
implemented through the CUPS team and not through the colord team ?

You also write, that there is no systems process to talk to, so that
e.g. Oyranos could not do the same.

If currently "millions" ;-) of users are already using the colord / CUPS
patch, it would make sense in my eyes to integrate in the regular CUPS
project, that CUPS can talk either to colord or Oyranos in the same way.

Mike, do you agree, that it would make sense, that either colord or
Oyaranos could talk in the same way with CUPS based on regular unpatched
CUPS version ?

Best regards
Jan-Peter

--