[Openicc] CUPS, colord, Oyranos, printer color management

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 06:18:13 PST 2012

On 16 January 2012 13:51, Jan-Peter Homann <homann at colormanagement.de> wrote:
> - Could it be happen, that the users gets both g-c-m / colord and Oyranos
> automatically for some packages ?

The number of people who are going to have this problem should be
tiny, as oyranos isn't actually required by anything in Fedora except
cinepaint and icc_examin, but colord is a hard dep of about 5 or 6
core packages in Fedora.

> - Should there be a recommendation from the OpenICC, that users should not
> try to run both solutions at the same time ?

I could add a "Conflicts: oyranos" to the colord spec file, but that's
not terrifically nice, as you'd then have to remove most of GNOME and
CUPS to install oyranos. Given that colord will pretty much always
exist, it makes more sense for oyranos to disable devices in colord
rather than the other way around. I've shown Kai-Uwe how to do this
just now on IRC, but it's pretty much just calling ProfileInhibit on
each device in colord that oyranos wants to manage instead.

> - Are there other cases in the LINUX community, how recommendations for
> endusers are communicated to avoid unwanted sideeffects between different
> solutions ?

I think my standard answer here is
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html

Richard.