[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Wed Jan 18 02:55:20 PST 2012

Am 17.01.12, 16:09 -0800 schrieb Michael Sweet:
> On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:22 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Having that keyword described inside JPS will cover the ICC requirements more completely. Please correct:
>>
>> 5.6.33 printer-color-attributes (1setOf type2 keyword)
>> The  RECOMMENDED "printer-color-attributes" Printer attribute lists all color related operation attributes that are influental to color appearance.
>>
>> You mentioned a similiar to cupsICCProfile qualifier attribute, but I could not find it in JPS3.
>
> The printer-icc-profiles attribute is a set (list) of collections, each of which includes the profile URL and the attributes (qualifiers) and associated values that will cause that profile to be selected.
>
> The following PPD usage:
>
>    *cupsICCQualifier1: ColorModel
>    *cupsICCQualifier2: Resolution
>    *cupsICCQualifier3: MediaType
>    *cupsICCProfile Gray.360dpi./Draft Grayscale: "/path/to/gray-360.icc"
>    *cupsICCProfile RGB.360dpi./Draft Color: "/path/to/rgb-360.icc"
>    *cupsICCProfile RGB.720dpi.Glossy/Glossy Color: "/path/to/rgb-720-glossy.icc"
>    *cupsICCProfile Gray.720dpi.Matte/Matte Grayscale: "/path/to/gray-720-matte.icc"
>    *cupsICCProfile RGB.720dpi.Matte/Matte Color: "/path/to/rgb-720-matte.icc"
>
> would map to the following printer-icc-profiles values in IPP:
>
>    { profile-name='Draft Grayscale' profile-uri='http://www.example.com/gray-360.icc' print-color-mode='monochrome' printer-resolution=360dpi }
>
>    { profile-name='Draft Color' profile-uri='http://www.example.com/rgb-360.icc' print-color-mode='color' printer-resolution=360dpi }
>
>    { profile-name='Glossy Color' profile-uri='http://www.example.com/rgb-720-glossy.icc' print-color-mode='color' printer-resolution=720dpi media-col={media-type='photographic-glossy'} }
>
>    { profile-name='Matte Grayscale' profile-uri='http://www.example.com/gray-720-matte.icc' print-color-mode='monochrome' printer-resolution=720dpi media-col={media-type='photographic-matte'} }
>
>    { profile-name='Matte Color' profile-uri='http://www.example.com/rgb-720-matte.icc' print-color-mode='color' printer-resolution=720dpi media-col={media-type='photographic-matte'} }

Can a empty profile be published by a printer for listing the colour
related options?
printer-icc-profiles={ print-color-mode='' printer-resolution='' }

That way clients know the required meta data for profile association.
E.g. Gutenprint will come assumedly with no profiles for most of it's
supported printers.