[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 05:19:42 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> Robert Krawitz wrote:
> > In this situation (DeviceRGB, or preferably DeviceCMYK, or even better
> > yet, DeviceN), there's no reason Gutenprint should use its current
> > default inking settings.  With 16 bit input, there's no good reason not
> > to set very high ink limits and let the profile do the ink limiting.
>
> While you can certainly do it this way, I think it's an approach that
> has problems, because no profile creation software is equipped to take
> on a raw device that may have severely low ink limits and very
> high dot gain, as is typical of inkjets when running at high
> resolution with lots of dot overlap. Some form of linearisation
> and per channel ink limiting is needed before a profiler can
> do a reasonable job. While such calibration can be incorporated
> in a profile, this is not common.

Graeme,

 You very correctly stress  the need to expose a linearized device,  _and_
we are fully aware of that.

 My remark was based on the fact that experimentation indicates that the
new "Profilable" Gutenprint ink settings for various media may need to be
different from the "legacy" ink settings which are now employed by a large
user base. In other words, one should not assume that the legacy inking
settings will form the base for future *production* profiled systems when
external color management is employed.

Edmund