[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Jan 24 09:18:31 PST 2012

Am 18.01.12, 10:34 -0800 schrieb Michael Sweet:
> On Jan 18, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> In the actual IPP standard she has no means to automatically associate the new calibration state for here alternative media and driver with the ICC profile. She wonders, why she must select all colour related options manually and hopes to have got it right.
>
> No, her client software "uploads" the custom media type and profile to
> the printer along with the job ticket that was used to print the target
> image(s).  Later, her client software can query the printer to get the
> list of available profiles and media types - either she picks the
> profile and those job ticket attributes are chosen for her automatically
> (and not changeable?) or she picks the media type which causes the
> profile to be selected automatically.

Would you please elaborate about a practical detail in the example?
As you wrote she printed the colour target on a roll, registred the new
media type and uploaded the resulting profile with the job ticket. That
is profile B on her printer.

Her printer now knows two ICC profiles with following schematic tickets:
ICC Profile A {gamma=1.7 connection=wlan size=A4} // an earlier profile
ICC Profile B {gamma=2.1 connection=usb size=A4}  // the new profile

After that, she wants to print postcards on the same roll from here handy
app. She only remembers the newly created ICC profile name (B). Thus her
actual print ticket says something like:
Use profile B through my wlan connection and cut the roll after postcard
height.

How does the CMS select the right calibration gamma?

>> I hope to could make myself clearer, why I think, it would be a good thing, that printers can advertise additional meta data.
>

> I hope I am getting the message across that such additional meta data is unnecessary - both the "pick the right profile based on the options" and "pick the right options based on the profile" are supported by the current proposed attributes in IPP JPS3.

It is great that you incorporate that for the designed of the standard.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe