[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 12:28:03 PST 2012

Michael,

 I think that only rgb profiling is at present really appropriate for
Gutenprint; Even printing in Device CMYK implies that ink curves eg C2CC'
be defined, and also profiling in CMYK requires a lot of samples, and is
not necessarily something even the advanced amateur is going to have fun
with.

 Really, I do think that any color managed print system that relies on
Gutenprint should at present be able to operate with 8 bit per channel  RGB
data, and allow sending Gutenprint calibration data ie, ink curves, drop
sizes to use etc, and an RGB profile.

 If the calibration data (presets) are dumped in an XML file, the current
Gutenprint iteration should be able to do the job with very little software
engineering. Anything else takes us into utopia.

Edmund