[Openicc] printer, driver, IPP, ICC- profiles

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Thu Jan 26 08:06:45 PST 2012

Hello Kai-Uwe and all,

You are right, that it is may not easy for all thinkable use cases, to
manage the relations between Gutenprint settings, media settings and
printer ICC-profiles and the IPP protocol e.g.

1) Printer Colormanagement Client Side
What happens, if colormanagement for the printer is done at the client
side and DeviceN data is send through IPP to the printer ?
So far as I Mike understood, this could be realized as following:

- printer profiles and their relations to media settings are handled
server side
- the client can download the printer profile for a given mediasetting
(eg. MyPhotoPaper 1440 DpI) from the server
- the client does the colormanagement and sends PWG rasterdata for
"MyPhotoPaper 1440 DpI to the server
- The question is now: how gets Gutenprint its internal setup for "My
Photopaper 1440 DpI ?

For the described workflow, printer profiles must be installed at the
server, before the client downloads the profile from the server.
As Gutenprint is part of the server, we would need a workflow, where
Gutenprints looks first to the IPP mediasetting, if there is an
associated printer profile with embedded Gutenprint settings. If yes,
Gutenprints extracts the settings and uses them. If not, Gutenprint uses
an internal standard setup (e.g. Photopaper 1440 DpI)

2) Creating Printer Profiles with embedded Gutenprint Settings an IPP
mediasettings
Most High-End print solutions have today an integrated profiling
application to handle testchart printing, measuring, icc printer profile
creation and handling of metadata for the relation between internal
driver setup, mediasettings and ICC-profile.

If we have on the same machine running
- The IPP server
- Gutenprint
- Argyll
it should be not a big task to create some kind of wizard to:
- choose an IPP mediasetting and associated Gutenprint setting
- store the settings temporarly
- print the testchart
- measure the testchart with Argyll
- calculate the ICC-profile with Argyll
- embed the stored IPP mediasettings and Gutenprint settings as metadata
into the printer profile

3) Downloading and Installing new printer profiles and IPP media
settings on the server
If all printer profiles have embedded IPP mediasettings, we need a
mechnism to extract this setting from the ICC-profile, after they have
been downloaded and installed.

*************
Mike:
Do You think it makes sense, when the IPP printing community registers
at the ICC an dictType Metadata tag for IPP mediasettings / profile
selectors ?
**************

In my eyes, such kind of registration would make a lot of sense, as we
have the first time a mechanism for defining the relation between
mediasettings and printer profiles in standardized way (vendor and
system neutral) inside ICC printer profiles.

In a later step also the IPP specifications could make use of this
mechanism.

Next week, we will have an ICC meeting in munich, and it would very
helpful to collect statements from the community if the registration of
dictType Metadata tag for IPP mediasettings / profile selectors makes sense.

Best regards
Jan-Peter