[Openicc] printer, driver, CUPS, PPD, printing GUI, ICC-profiles, colord, Oyranos, taxi....

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:41:05 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 26.01.12, 16:53 +0100 schrieb edmund ronald:
>
>  At the moment we dont really need to *store* all the combinations of media
>> settings possible, it is more a cooking recipe generated on the fly.
>>
>> Of course, a profile needs the parameters locked down, but we could
>> load in LUTs by name like a printer does for fonts.
>>

> Do you think of a list of preconfigured parameters?

Yes, we could eg. have the "ink curves for Epson 7x90 family" be a tag in
the XML descriptor, thereby shortening the XML very substantially as that
tag would replace Kbytes or even Mbytes of LUTS.

However I would recommend that *for now* we should implement the
excessively impolitely formulated proposal which I proposed last night
(sorry) of declaring one print queue per media.
The queue would be installed only when the user needs it.

 Average users do not use more than three or four media types.

 Use of the queue would allow superstructure to invoke the sRGB2printer
profile needed for that queue for naive users.

The advantage of this method is we could make it  work immediately *even
without a Gutenprint version that saves and reads settings* !!!! In other
words we could move straight to color managed printing TODAY.

Edmund

PS In effect the impolite method would have the system do what a user would
do manually today.

kind regards