[Openicc] current CUPS printer color management in distributions.

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 09:38:38 PST 2012

Richard, Till, Kai-Uwe

 I'm trying to pull together an understanding of  the color management
pieces in distributions with the aim of getting some color managed printing
running *now* with Gutenprint.
 What I see is that it is not pie-in-the-sky, byt should work with current
distributions and current Gutenprint.

 If I understand rightly, at the moment Ubuntu has a CUPS print system
which will understand the cupsicccolor and effect conversions as determined
means of the "*cupsiccprofile" keyword in PPDs,  as introduced originally
on the Mac, while on RedHat things work differently by means of colord.

Is this a good summary?

Edmund