[Openicc] current CUPS printer color management in distributions.

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 14:32:00 PST 2012

Till,

 Thank you very much for your good news.

 I guess that as Ubuntu is now color managed for raster drivers and in
particular Gutenprint, it is time to make and distribute some test profiles
and train users to employ the "print-queue assigned profile" method. Later
you will no doubt suggest a better way to install pre-configured queues for
popular printers and media, when we have profiles for these.

 In order to test things, may I ask:
- are the media settings stored in "live" PPDs? Where are these found?
- can a modified PPD be copied to another system easily and function there?
- where can profiles be placed so the print system can read them?
- which Ubuntu version can/ should  I use? Can I run it as a livecd version
for testing ? (I can bring it up in a VM so the changes will be remanent)
- will local color management work if the CUPS on Ubuntu is a print server
for a client on the net?

 By the way, I am ready to scan targets and make profiles for anyone who
has a printer, and who wants to contribute to the effort of making profiles
for Gutenprint by printing a test target.
As soon as I complete tests, I will create user-level documentation for
configuring for per-queue profiled printing, so as to allow "naive" users
to print targets and install profiles. We need to crowdsource profiles (and
media settings).

Thank you again for your help. I am sorry that I am very disorganised, and
usually ask the same questions several times. :(

Edmund