[Openicc] [Gimp-print-devel] Color-managed printing on Linux with current CUPS: Fact or fiction?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Jan 30 09:50:45 PST 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:29 AM, edmund ronald wrote:
> Many developers still think software is feature-driven. So they want all these nice buttons eg. "Hurt me", "Hit me!"  so they can tell their boss their users have "choice". Then the users cry about their pain.
>
> It's really hard to tell naive users with an uncalibrated screen that if they have color issues on a color-managed printer then the right place to fix them is in a graphics app. Most users want print controls which basically fix their wrong screen profile.

Sounds like we should have a screen calibration program on Linux then - it is easy enough to do one that doesn't require hardware, and (for example) we've had this on Mac OS X for years. The simple profile setup just has the user (effectively) pick a gamma value by looking at a test image with 50% gray and 50% black/white and moving a slider to match them up. The advanced version does multiple test images and has a 2D control to adjust the neutrality of the gray.

You can't have consistent color by providing more knobs.