[Openicc] Minimal X Color Management

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Feb 21 13:39:32 PST 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:00 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>> Since the display's color behavior isn't really well known, it can't really be well compensated
>> for. So it's an interesting dilemma. With mobile, there are in some ways fewer excuses since an
>> arbitrary 3rd party isn't the supplier of the display. But the time frame to production and
>> production itself is much shorter so that can cause more problems and difficulties with keeping
>> EDID up to date.
>
> This is a practical problem though, not a functionality one, and therefore doesn't
> have a direct baring on providing appropriate color management functionality
> to the (software) display architecture.

It adversely affects complexity of the functionality, and questions the entire efficacy of any such functionality. In fact, it's possible, perhaps likely, to end up with worse results doing display compensation with bogus display profile information, than not doing display compensation. This was often the case in the early days of color management when display vendors produced an ICC profile for their display, downloadable off their web site.

Any CMS architecture needs to recognize non-CMS dependencies, and either ICC or OpenICC needs to more aggressively interface with the appropriate trade or standards bodies to get the needed non-CMS functionality (e.g. valid EDID primaries, or something else to replace it). I realize this is like herding feral cats, but ignoring the problem isn't improving results.

Chris