[Openicc] [Per Queue] [GSOC] Making a color assignment in CUPS web interface?

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:25:05 PST 2012

CUPS is in all Linux distributions. Gnome, KDE, etc come and go, and are
more fragmented. Maybe we should add the color stuff into the common CUPS
management interface and its API, rather than the superstructure?

GSOC is coming up so we would have programming resources.
The print chain now seems to know about profiles so the interface is the
next step to make the print system color managed.
CUPS seems a nice place to do this, as it has an interface, and it supplies
APIs.

To start with, I'd add interface and API facilities to:
- Load/save the whole PPD and profiles cleanly into and from user space to
wherever CUPS like them.
- Associate a profile with a queue,
- Switch of color management for a queue

My own view is that initially users should be house-trained to associate a
single media setting and print method (default/profiled) with a queue,
thereby simplifying the problem of printing to the point where the above
facilities suffice to get the existing infrastructure to print sRGB
pictures automagically, or for an amateur to make profiles to use himself
or distribute to others.

Of course, you're all smarter than me, and actually do the work, but I do
think that building a common infrastructure for print color might be a
better idea than fragmenting the base facilities among interface projects
and distributions.

Edmund