[Openicc] [Per Queue] [GSOC] Making a color assignment in CUPS web interface?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Feb 28 09:36:55 PST 2012

Kai-Uwe,

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:17 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> Am 27.02.12, 14:44 -0800 schrieb Michael Sweet:
>> CUPS 1.6 will include colord support - Red Hat contributed the work to Apple and I am working on integrating that code along with the Avahi support.
>
> So far colord in CUPS appears to me orthogonal to CUPS' own device profile configuration. CUPS has a clear concept for static vendor supplied device profiles, which are defined per print queue.
>
> colord provides non static local user profiles independent to any queue or job without check. Due to this under-determined nature is is easy to find many scenarios, where colord in CUPS behaves undefined and risks bugs. How does you see that colord inside CUPS works in a maintainable manner?

Just as for ColorSync on OS X, colord on Linux maintains registrations of both system-supplied (i.e. from cupsd via PPDs) and user-supplied (i.e. user adds a profile for a printer) profiles.  The actual profile selection is done at submission time, such that the print dialog either automatically selects a profile based on the options chosen by the user or by manual selection of a profile by the user, which should then select the corresponding options that are associated with the profile.  The destination profile is then embedded in the PDF.

If no profile is embedded in the print document, the default/automatically-selected profile is used.