[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 21 10:43:41 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Isn't an L* transfer curve even worse for a 2.2/sRGB style system?
>
> The monitor reviews on prad.de seem to have the worst results when trying to profile to eciRGB_v2 which uses L*

The entire paradigm of L* as a superior TRC for devices and intermediate (editing) spaces is wholly absurd. I doubt even I could come up with sufficiently insulting language for how utterly ridiculous it is. It's a solution in search of a problem, which is worse than the problem.

On Mar 21, 2012, at 11:32 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> If the data is limited to 8 bits per component then sRGB seems like the obvious choice.

8bpc to deliver a wide gamut image isn't a big problem, so long as it isn't going to be subsequently edited. If it was produced from a high bit version, the conversion to 8bpc produces the "correct 8 bits per channel" for the intended TRC.

Most any conversion of this image for subsequent display is going through a minimum 16bpc transform anyway, so again quantization is minimal.

However, if we want to get color geeky about it, the ideal for the best precision of an 8bpc wide gamut image, would be to establish a TRC closest to that of the final display conditions, so even that 16bpc conversion to display involves minimal quantization. That is probably a TRC defined by the sRGB curve (or a gamma function of 2.2, I'm not sure how relevant the toe really is in today's actual display conditions).