[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 21 12:05:20 PDT 2012

On Mar 21, 2012, at 12:29 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

> Anyway, I like the idea of the monitor gamma behaving like CIE*L . That is possible with the monitor internal gamma set to the same CIE*L with 10+ bits.

Possible, but has value? What's the efficacy? Any such workflow dealing with wide gamut images has a high bit imaging pipeline of at least 16bpc. Adobe considered 20bpc 20th century and everything is 32bpc float in ACE. So if you have high bit precision, you're arriving at the same result on-screen no matter its TRC.

The purpose of tone mapped data is to account not just for the display behavior, but ambient and surround. Are you absolutely sure that your ambient and surround conditions mean a device TRC defined by L* is the best applicable choice? Or perhaps its a different TRC altogether than what's been discussed.