[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Chris Lilley chris at w3.org
Wed Mar 21 12:52:19 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 8:34:31 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

CM> Not only are the vast majority of real colors inside of sRGB
CM> already, but an overwhelming majority would be inside of Adobe
CM> RGB. It's one thing to need a large space and wide dynamic range
CM> in order to have rendering flexibility, but that's not what it
CM> appears you're aiming for. Seems like you're talking about an output referred space.

That was what I liked about BetaRGB. There is a clear rationale for the gamut - it is just large enough to include the set of natural colors from various test charts, including ColorChecker DC plus assorted Kodak, Agfa and Fuji reflective and transparency targets.
http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?BetaRGB.html

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG