[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

James Cloos cloos+freedesktop-openicc at jhcloos.com
Wed Mar 21 15:33:22 PDT 2012

CM> If we go to 32bpc float as a minimum across the board, neither
CM> primaries nor TRC matter at all.

This segues nicely to a questing I've been pondering off and on for
a bit:

  Given an unconstrained 32-bit float workflow, what are the
  ideal values to pass, eg, to lcms2's cmsCreateRGBProfile()?

It seems reasonable to do the work in linear rgb; that simplifies
specifying the tone curves.

But is there any value to choosing a specific white point and set of
primaries?

Given sRGB's prevalence, one might suggest D65 and the sRGB primaries.

Unless, perhaps, when working towards HDTV or digital cinema output, yes?

Are there any other good arguments for or against any specific w/r/g/b?

-JimC