[Openicc] review of new wide gamut editing space

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Mar 22 04:14:35 PDT 2012

Am 22.03.12, 01:26 -0600 schrieb Chris Murphy:
> On Mar 21, 2012, at 10:56 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:

>>> Rephrase, hopefully for better clarity:
>>>
>>> Are the areas of the HP Dreamcolor gamut that extend beyond the Adobe RGB gamut, naturally occurring colors or synthetically occurring colors?
>>
>> As the monitor can display these colours and these colours are measured by a spectrometer, they must be real colours. I am not going to speculate, that I judge about content of others in saying:
>> "people will never use a certain colour, so we can drop it".
>>
>> Btw. flowers are so often out of gamut.
>
> If you're going to take the position nothing can be dropped, welcome to
> the 32+bpc float support group. Otherwise, we're always in the position
> of dropping something, hopefully something reasonable that most people
> won't notice most of the time. Because it takes a whole lot of effort
> and cost to keep all of it.

The 32+bpc float support group is my home since many years :-)
However, at some point we have to satisfy window managers and toolkits,
which resist on 8-bpc pipelines. Lets see which approach fits them best.

Meanwhile, I will drop creating a new colour space. Either digikam
people find a existing distributable ProPhotoRGB profile or we will build
one after the spec for our photo communities.

Thanks for your all comments.

www.oyranos.org