[Openicc] Wiki for KDE Colour Management Proposal (GSoC)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Apr 9 12:19:00 PDT 2012

On Saturday 07 April 2012 16:07:49 Casian Andrei wrote:
> Hello everyone,
Hi Casian,

the wiki page looks quite good, but I can only repeat myself by saying that it
cannot (and should not be) an effect. Yes in Compiz it's a plugin but that
doesn't matter for KWin.

You probably noticed while writing the page how shaky the whole process
becomes when using an effect. First of all you have to adjust all shaders in
the core which kind of breaks the concept of plugins in the first place. The
next thing is that you want to kind of intercept all rendering calls in the
effect but that's just not possible. Not all rendering goes through the
effects.

That's why it has to be in the base compositor before the rendering is done.
> I plan to extend the wiki if the proposal is accepted. It will be the
> place where progress reports will be posted, too, if it will be the
> case.
Please move it to http://community.kde.org/KWin if the proposal gets accepted.
We have all our internal documentation there and the project seems to be more
about KWin than about OpenIcc :-)

Cheers
Martin