[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:32:47 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> On May 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
>>
>> If a PPD is present, I would prefer it to be PPD based, because it
>> would mean that if we copy the PPD across to another system the other
>> system will behave exactly the same. The big problem with print
>> debugging at the moment, in my experience is that one always misses
>> setting the right things in the GUI etc, and reproducing a state
>> exactly is hard, especially across systems.
>
> I don't see how this is possible with PPDs. You'd still need the PPD method to trigger a common API for colord and Oryanos. Unless the PPD entry could somehow trigger Ghostscript directly, which then implies that Ghostscript of a particular version is always available whenever system wide opt in color management is also on that system.

Why can't every future version of ghostscript for Linux systems have
our CM-off switch? I mean, if color management is this important to
everybody, and Gutenprint is the designated backend, surely some
accomodation for diagnostic facilities can be reached?

> I understand, but also understand what you're asking for is non-trivial.
Aren't y'all grateful for the challenge?

> This is, no doubt, the problem Apple stumbled into when they decided to go whole hog with color management as opt out rather than opt in. As soon as it's opt out, everybody is in until you give them a way to opt out.

Linux is all about open, free and choice, right?
As Mike says so sweetly - Aim Higher :)

Edmund