[Openicc] Gutenprint team requests CM-off for a print queue be provided as a maintained engineering facility.

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 12 15:41:08 PDT 2012

On Sat, 12 May 2012 10:47:57 +0200, edmund ronald wrote:
> Kai-Uwe
>
>  Mike is absolutely right, but he is talking about usual system
> function. In our case we are in engineering mode; we're not talking
> about a single profile target, but systematically using  a certain
> queue if the system in CM-off mode for a long length of time. Imagine
> you have a printer with strange new hardware hanging off that queue,
> you spend a lot of time feeding it various bit pattern tests before
> you even think of profiling it.  Profiling takes 5 minutes. The stuff
> before takes a very long time.

Also, note that there are some end users who do their own linearization
and profiling.  Some of them use third party inks, for example, and
cannot use canned profiles and linearizations for the OEM inks.  They
may not be comfortable with a command line, or their CUPS server may be
running on a print server appliance that they do not have command line
access to.  Making it more difficult for these users to tune their
workflows does us (Gutenprint, and Linux printing as a whole) no good
whatsoever.

I'll let Edmund go into details, but I believe that what we really need
is a convenient way to get data from the application to the printer (or
its proxy, the printer driver) with no transformations to the data
stream.  If the application passes a value of (250, 71, 108), it should
be possible for the printer or driver to be guaranteed to receive that
value.

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Am 11.05.12, 08:17 -0700 schrieb Michael Sweet:
>>
>>> There are (typically) two cases where you want to turn off color
>>> management:
>>>
>>> 1. Printing of targets for profiling.
>>> 2. Printing from an application that provides its own color management.
>>

>>> For #2, we should also require a way for the application to query the
>>> default profile for a printer that has been registered for particular print
>>> settings. This is because otherwise users will end up using completely
>>> different profiles (or having to register them N times) when printing from
>>> different applications.
>>

>> Agreed, that's really important for good API design. I expect experts and
>> users will appreciate to know in advance, which output profile will be
>> applied.

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton