[Openicc] Fwd: [Help] Printer icc profile in photoprint / gutenprin

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 11 17:24:09 PST 2013

Can anyone help out as far as what to do with the profile?

To: rlk at alum.mit.edu
From: "SourceForge.net" <noreply at sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Help] Printer icc profile in photoprint / gutenprin
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:26:37 -0800

The following forum message was posted by josvanr at http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-print/forums/forum/4359/topic/6739784:

Hi

Day 2 of getting good color from my epson stylus photo r3000 / opensuse 12.2
/ gutenprint 5.2.9

Goal: correct color output of the printer using an custom icc profile generated
by argyll, measured with colormunki photo spectrophotometer

I dont know where to put the printer icc profile in gimp. There only seems to
be an option to generate a print simulation. But I want to *correct* my output,
not view in advance how bad the output will be !

So I found this program 'photoprint' which seems to be able to load a printer
icc profile for correcting the output. I generated an icc profile for the printer
and did a test print using the same settings. The print used to be much too
saturated with yellow cast. Now the print's saturation is too low and has a
pronounced blue cast. Photoprint does have a 'print simulation mode' and when
switching to this, the print looks about the same as displayed on the screen,
ie the image turns blue.

But why? Isnt the printer profile supposed to correct the output to match the
original image as much as possible, not *distort* it? The original image's colors
seem to lie inside the gamut of the printer (with no color management, the image
prints much too saturated)... .......

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton