[Openicc] GSoC 2013 preparations

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 01:56:31 PDT 2013

On 19 March 2013 08:39, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on this problem. I do not see here that CMS configurations
> are frequently written. If they need persitent frequently rewriting, then
> there is something wrong with the underlying architacture. Just to be clear,
> we talk here about device configurations and some few settings.

We have three moving pieces that could, in theory read and write the
same settings:

* ArgyllCMS
* Oyranos
* colord

If I understand correctly, Oyranos and ArgyllCMS run in the user
session context only, and colord runs in the system context only.

* If Oyranos writes to the user ~/.config/color/settings/ how is
colord supposed to know that settings have changed?
* How is argyllcms supposed to set a specific profile to be used on
the login screen if it can't write to /usr or /var?
* If colord sets a new system-wide profile to be used by all users,
how is it supposed to remove or nullify the entry in ~/.config that
will override it?

Richard