[Openicc] Adding translated titles to ICC files?

Chris Murphy chris at colorremedies.com
Wed Mar 20 09:26:49 PDT 2013

On Mar 19, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme at argyllcms.com> wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> I don't understand "compatible with" it sorta sounds like fat free ice cream, or a little bit
>> pregnant. Is it Adobe RGB (1998) or is it not? And if it's not why is it being installed?
>
> You can blame Adobe for that. Adobe is a trade mark. If you call a profile "the Adobe RGB profile"
> and it's not the actual profile from Adobe, it is misleading and therefore a trademark
> infringement. In contrast, "Compatible with Adobe RGB" is an accurate statement, and
> hence can't be seen as a trademark infringement.

The mental gymnastics we allow ourselves to put up with… especially for one that's the result of a mistake and was renamed as a result.

Epson, Nikon, and Canon do this:

1. They change the copyright tag.
2. They change the desc to "EPSON Adobe RGB (1998)" or "Canon Adobe RGB (1998)" or "Nikon Adobe RGB (1998)"

Maybe they're licensees, I don't know. But I find that confusing.

This 2005 Adobe document says: The name "Adobe RGB (1998)" also is used as a software product trademark for Adobe's implementation of the Adobe RGB (1998) ICC profile.
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/AdobeRGB1998.pdf

This little gem, at the bottom, prohibits all of the above and supports this "compatible with" naming nonsense.
http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/adobergb.html

It very well may be accurate, but it is imprecise because a reasonable observer will question whether the encoding is identical to the Adobe supplied Adobe RGB (1998) profile, or differs in some minor way. I find the mandated usage makes the profile worthless.

But whatever, it's not a hill I'm going to die on. I'll just tell people they should download the real deal, or they should use ECI RGB v1.