[Openicc] The OutputIntent and Color Managed Printing

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon May 20 09:03:07 PDT 2013

At the OpenPrinting meeting last week I got a chance to talk to Till,
Mike Sweet and some of the Ghostscript guys. I gave a presentation
about colord, which was well received I think, and we talked a lot
about OutputIntent.

The conclusions we came to were:

* OutputIntent is designed to be set as a standard profile, e.g. FOGRA39L
* Ghostscript uses the OutputIntent as a proofing profile and the
sOutputICCProfile is used to specify the print profile of the output
device
* gstoraster should be modified so that when the printer is being
profiled we specify dUseFastColor so that we don't do any kind of
transform
* We need to test this stuff much better than we currently are.

I'm about to start work on the first part of the dUseFastColor and
test patchsets, but I hear that Krita is using libcmpx. I'm still
slightly confused about how the latter works. Is libcmpx trying to
stuff the printer profile as a proofing profile and pre-convert all
the colors in the document? If so, I don't think that's going to work
with the current Ghostscript code. Can I just ignore libcmpx
altogether in my run-filter-chain-test patchset?

Richard