[Openicc] Profiling not permitted under Linux?

edmund ronald edmundronald at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 05:31:30 PDT 2013

Hi Guys,

 the famous CM-off flag is still not implemented officially; it seems
it is not a priority. this means that as the color guy at Gutenprint I
cannot (without a workaround)  stuff, which means that we cannot move
Gutenprint to a profiled workflow with less manual tuning.

 I don't get it; really I don't. People here have been working like
crazy to implement profiled printing, but then they won't give the
printer guys the tools to profile?

BTW, I spent a couple of weeks this summer doing CMYK profiles for
Gutenprint. Why? To get rid of CM built-in reliably of course. I found
out a couple of things.

- Proprietary vendor RGB driver color is really really good these days.
- Naked CMYK files break most distributions "lp" but can be printed
via Okulus or Acroread.
- CMYK profiling is a pain to get right on Gutenprint with the current
ink curves, and should probably not be attempted seriously until more
tools are available, at which point it will still be a job for
experts.  RGB profiling is the way to go  - but seems politically
unacceptable

 So maybe you guys want to lobby Canon and Epson and ask them to
supply drivers, because I for one see little reason to waste time on a
printer driver which I cannot profile because the politics are broken.

Edmund