[Openicc] Color Infrastructure of LibreOffice

Jan-Peter Homann homann at colormanagement.de
Fri Oct 18 02:53:49 PDT 2013

Hello list,
After I have successfully moved from MS Office to LibreOffice, I´m
keen to understand the color infrastructure of LibreOffice.

Does anyone of the list knows about this topic or knows a person which
I could ask ?

I would post the results of this my private research, that we all as
community have a better understanding what happens inside LibreOffice
concerning color.

Especially follwoing topics I´m intested on:

1) Does LibreOffice make use of LittleCMS ?
2) If yes, what is the role of LittleCMS inside LibreOffice ?
3) Does LibreOffice make use of Cairo ?
4) If yes, what is the role of Cairo inside LibreOffice ?
5) Which library is used to handle placed PDF files into an
LibreOffice document
6) Which library is used to create PDF files in the Export menue ?
7) What happens with color, if SVG-files with CMYK-colors are placed
in LibreOffice ?
8) Could the LibreOffice color strategy be described as:
- - embedded profiles of placed images are respected, but during export
or print, they are normalized to sRGB ?

One background of my e-mail is the question, if we may can create a
roadmap for LibreOffice also to support CMYK colors for colors
specified in LibreOffice and supported into the exported PDF file.
This would enhance LibreOffice functionality as an Entry Level DTP
application and thanks the scripting support for LibreOffice also as
an entry solution for web to print.

Best regards
Jan-Peter

- --