p11-kit-proxy.so

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Sun Aug 14 08:20:38 PDT 2011

On 08/14/2011 02:19 PM, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> Won't there
>> > be breakage if the p11-kit ABI breaks (e.g. changing the size of a struct)?
>

> IMHO not, as PKCS#11 is a defined API with its own versioning and
> related backwards-compatibility tricks.
> Maybe I misunderstand something though..

Exactly. PKCS#11 exports exactly one function from a PKCS#11 module:
C_FunctionGetList. So in this sense the ABI for a PKCS#11 module never
really change in a backward incompatible way.

The remaining methods exported from that function should be accessed
through libp11-kit.so.x.x.x directly. The fact that its a both a library
and a PKCS#11 module allows us to handle the initialization refcounting
issues elegantly [1], but callers should generally treat it (and link to
it) as one or another.

Cheers,

Stef

[1] http://p11-glue.freedesktop.org/doc/p11-kit/sharing-module.html