Do smart card drivers generally support more than one PKCS#11 session?

Stef Walter stefw at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 12:37:35 PDT 2011

I'm working on integrating smart card support via PKCS#11 into glib and
gcr (part of gnome-keyring). We're integrating with GnuTLS for TLS support.

I'd like to be able to do a C_Login in my code, and then pass off the
URL to Gnutls. GnuTLS would then open another session, recognize that
we're already logged in (this may need a slight tweak in the gnutls
code) and then proceed without prompting the user.

The reason for this is that the gnutls callback for prompting the user
to login is a global one, and hard to use from another library without
assuming that the caller is the only gnutls consumer.

Anyway, this all works well. But it relies on the assumption of having
two sessions open on the smart card at once.

So my question is if, in the experience of all you smart card gurus,
most PKCS#11 smart card drivers (at least those worth supporting)
support more than one session in the same application.

Cheers,

Stef