self-check failure

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Mar 19 12:28:00 PDT 2012

mån 2012-03-19 klockan 18:31 +0100 skrev Stef Walter:
> On 2012-03-09 15:06, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> > Stef Walter<stefw at gnome.org>  writes:

> >> Which version of GCC are you using?
> >
> > This is a pretty vanilla Debian Squeeze amd64 system.
>
> I installed Debian Squeeze to reproduce this. I've seen a similar
> problem before. It looks like a gcc optimization bug. If you configure
> like so:
>
> CFLAGS='-O0' ./configure
>
> then the problem does not occur.
>
> In your opinion what should we do? I have a hard time distilling this
> into a test case to send to the gcc development guys. When I make
> changes, the issue dissappears.

Until someone has time to debug this further, I would be inclined to
just let the self-test prints (when it fails) that the failure may be
because of a suspected compiler bug and point to the mailing list
archive for this discussion.

Do you think the miscompilation is likely to affect how my build works?
If it is a critical piece of code failing, you may want to print more
warnings that the library must not be used if it fails the checks.

> Previously I think we saw the issue with gcc 4.6.1. I made trivial
> changes [1] to suppress the issue with that gcc release. I thought it
> was specific to that point release. However it appears that the problem
> is more widespread :(

Hm, 4.6.1 is pretty modern, so chances are that this affects the latest
gcc version as well, which may make gcc people more interested in
debugging this.  However, they probably don't want to spend too much
time distilling this into a test case.

/Simon