comparison with other stored security state mechanisms [was: Re: Sharing Trust Policy between Crypto Libraries]

Ryan Sleevi rsleevi at chromium.org
Fri Feb 15 16:50:06 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Miloslav Trmac <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm really new to the certificate validation area, so I might be completely off-base.  With that caveat...

Revocation, for one. You may have accepted the error at a time when
revocation could not be obtained (or was not published), such as due
to the attacker sitting near the client network. If you're later
further from the attacker (eg: still communicating with the public
key, but you can now obtain revocation), it sure does seem like a
'more' serious error should not be able to override a 'soft' error
like a missing intermediate or name mismatch.

Every major browser implements this logic in how they manage
overrides, so I think it's at least worth considering how this would
work.

>> > Well, for what it's worth, this approach is necessitated by Apple's walled
>> > garden approach. Take a look at the arbitrarily defined 'policies' which
>> > defy generalization:
>> >
>> > http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/Security/Security-55163.44/sec/Security/SecPolicyPriv.h
>>
>> Microsoft (that is, pre-Win8 Microsoft) also approaches certificate
>> validation as a set of policies - and has since the days of IE3. This
>> recognizes that the PKIX path building algorithm is used by a variety
>> of applications for a variety of purposes.
>
> The "policy" word was a little confusing to me.  Again, once I have accepted a specific public key for a specific name, why would applications have different "policies" on whether to accept that key or not?  That doesn't make any sense.

I trust $INSERT_NATIONAL_ID_CA to provide valid client certificates
for use with performing my tax return, but I do not trust the
intelligence services of $INSERT_NATIONAL_ID_CA to be able to MITM all
of my data.

I trust $QUESTIONABLE_CA to issue SSL server certificates, since
there's things like defined audit regimes and browser programs, but I
may not trust $QUESTIONABLE_CA to be able to perform code-signing that
may allow arbitrary executables on my device.

Do I need to trust my WiFi/EAP server cert the same as an arbitrary
SSL/VPN root? Maybe I don't trust the Wifi provider at all - which is
why I'm using SSL || VPN, to get 'honest' results over a potentially
dishonest connection.

> Perhaps we are actually talking about different sets of roots of trust:
> - "Within the DNS name space, we use the ugly CA ecosystem, and have the $huge_number of roots
> - For OpenVPN connections, this single CA is the only accepted root of trust
> and the like.  From that point of view it makes perfect sense to have a separate corporate-specific root of trust for, say, iPhone provisioning profile signing.
>
> The current proposal can't support separate roots of trust.  However, if that were added, can't the stapled certificate mechanism can still be used for the intermediates and leafs?  If the roots of trust are pair-wise distinct, the intermediates and leafs that can be validated from each root of trust should also be pair-wise distinct, shouldn't they?
>     Mirek

Roots are rarely pairwise distinct in this space. Even Mozilla's
program recognizes three policies relevant to their applications: SSL,
E-Mail, and Code Signing. The same root, potentially the same (or
different) intermediates, with the trust bits NOT expressed via
certificate metadata but through the propagation/hierarchy of trust
bits.

The NSS trust bits are currently just that - bits - whereas a more
expressive policy is highly desired.

Even for the Wifi/EAP case, I trust this given cert for a given
BSSID/set of BSSIDs, but I don't necessarily trust them for all such
IDs. Especially when using authentication methods other than EAP-TLS
client certs (such as PEAP & friends), the use of EAP-TLS should not
be an 'everyone' or 'no one' situation.