Fixing NSS and p11-kit in Fedora (and beyond)

Jaroslav Imrich jaroslav.imrich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 06:30:20 PST 2014

I support the idea of updating packaging guidelines but I am not quite sure
about the second bullet:
"PKCS#11 modules SHOULD silently fail to load if their corresponding
hardware is not present, or in the case of pure software tokens such as
SoftHSM if there is no storage configured for the user in question."

Most PKCS#11 modules I have seen would load in such case and would return
CKR_TOKEN_NOT_RECOGNIZED for any unknown accessible device. None of them
was open source but I believe system wide solution should take also
commercial closed source solutions into account.

Regards, Jaroslav