patch: isolate a pkcs11 module

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Wed Dec 17 12:15:44 PST 2014

On 02.12.2014 10:29, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-11-10 at 11:41 +0100, Stef Walter wrote:
>> On 03.11.2014 13:09, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>>> The attached patch allows to use p11-kit to run and use an isolated
>>> PKCS #11 module. The performance cost seems to be quite limited.
>>> I've tested it with softhsm (isolated) + lighttpd2 and a
>>> pseudo-benchmark (run in the same pc) shows:
>>
>> This is great! Nice work. I'd like to get this in. Some review below
>> that would need to be fixed first. Happy to have discussion about any
>> points that aren't clear or where I've misunderstood things.
>
> Attached is an update to the original patch. What is handled is
> discussed in the comments inline.

Thanks.

> -#ifdef _GNU_SOURCE
> -#error Make the crap stop. _GNU_SOURCE is completely unportable and
breaks all sorts of behavior
> -#endif

Could you document the logic for removing this? In particular some
functions like strerror_r() behave completely differently when
_GNU_SOURCE is defined. How do you account for this in your patch?

> > The reason for this code isn't commented or documented anywhere.
> > Would prefer if it was a separate commit with its own commit
> > message, test, etc.
>

> I've added a special test case.

Hmmm, are you suggesting we merge all of this as one commit? If so, I
guess I have to put in the extra work to clean it up. It's a valuable
feature and worth the work.

But putting all this in one commit makes it hard to review and
understand. For example, refactoring code (eg: moving code to
rpc-transport-cli.c) is combined with everything else. And some of the
other "drive by" fixes, fixing spelling, adding EINTER signal safety,
are thrown into the mix.

Do you by any chance have this as a distinct set of patches, which you
may have squashed into a code dump to send here?

If not, I guess I can try and do some more review and break this out
into separate changes and merge them one by one. But in that case it
will block much much longer on me slowly working to get this done.

Cheers,

Stef