patch set for #90289

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jun 24 01:18:50 PDT 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-24 at 10:03 +0200, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> This patch set eliminates two issues in the proxy module:
> 1. A process using the proxy module would crash if at some point
> after
> initializing it would fork(). - patch set 0001-0002
> 2. A process using the proxy module would call C_Finalize in a child
> process. - patch set 0003-0004

Thanks for looking at this.

Bug 90289 wasn't a 'crash' but a deadlock, wasn't it? Or is that what
you meant?

Your test case in patch #1 is actually *invalid* behaviour — the first
thing the child calls MUST by C_Initialize(). Calling C_Finalize() in
the child without C_Initialize() first is broken.

It's OK to ensure that p11-kit-proxy.so copes with that, but it's
probably best to explicitly note in the test case that it's not
guaranteed to work on modules in the general case. And if we want to
allow people to generally call C_Finalize() on p11-kit-proxy.so, we
also need to ensure that *doesn't* translate to invalid C_Finalize()
calls into the modules that it's loaded.

I posted a different test case, a week or two ago, to check for the
deadlock in the *valid* case of the child calling C_Initialize().

-- dwmw2